73 rd Raheny Scouts


Go to content

About Us

A brief history of our group.

We were founded in 1956 with Bettyville Lodge as our Den. This was home to our first Lone Scout Patrol. Because the Killester/Raheny Parish was not yet prepared to sponsor a Scout Unit, the Patrol was registered with the 58th Dublin (Donacarney) Unit and quickly expanded into a full Scout Troop (The 58th "B"). After an eventful & exciting 2 years, the Parish finally adopted the Troop and the Chocolate/Orange scarf of the 58th "B" changed to the Red/White of the 72nd Dublin (old Killester Unit). The Old National School (built 1820) became our Scout Den. After the division of the Parish, we briefly operated from Killester Church. We returned back to the Old School where it soon became apparent that the Old School was not big enough. A new 22' x 25' structure was built beside the Old School to accomodate the increase in numbers. During the construction the new Raheny Scout Troop, 73rd Dublin, was formed. This Den was now home to 2 Scout Units, 72nd/73rd Dublin. In 1975, it was decided the each Unit would operate separately in it's own area. 72nd Dublin returned to Killester.

The new scout Den was opened on 16th November 198. We will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Den with a planned reunion dinner & activities.

Home Page | Location | What is Scouting? | Our Den | About Us | Photo Gallery | New Programme | News | Group Hike | Sections | Upcoming Events | Leaders Past & Present | Contact Us | Links | Site Map


Back to content | Back to main menu